Mushfiqur Rahim Profile | Career Info, Records Biography
Mosaddek Hossain Saikat (born 10 December 1995 in Mymensingh, Bangladesh) is a cricketer who has played first-class and List A cricket in Bangladesh since 2013. In 2014-15 he made 250 and 282 in consecutive first-class innings and passed 1000 first-class runs in his 10th match. In October 2015, in his 12th first-class match, he became the first Bangladeshi player to score three double-centuries. He made his Test debut in March 2017.
Hossain is a right-handed batsman and off-spin bowler. He played for Bangladesh in two ICC Under-19 World Cups: in Australia in 2012 and in Abu Dhabi in 2013-14. He captained Bangladesh Under-19 in a two-match series of four-day matches against Sri Lanka Under-19 in April 2013, scoring 107 in the first match and 74 in the second. He then captained the team again in a five-match series of limited-overs matches immediately afterwards, scoring more than 200 runs, including 98 in the third match which Bangladesh win by one wicket. In England later that year, in a "superb all-round performance", he scored 110 not out off 113 balls then took 3 for 38 off 10 overs in a 38-run victory over England Under-19.
At the age of 17 he made a century in his second List A match when he scored 100 for Abahani Limited against Prime Doleshwar Sporting Club in 2013-14. He played one first-class match for Dhaka Division in 2013-14 and was selected to play for East Zone at the end of the season, when he took 3 for 65 and 4 for 33 against South Zone. After the 2013-14 season Cricinfo named him as one of Bangladesh's most promising young players, noting that as a batsman he impressed "with his footwork against spin and ease against pace".
He played for Barisal Division in the 2014-15 National Cricket League. Against Rangpur Division at Savar he scored 250 off 448 balls, adding 423 for the fifth wicket with Al-Amin. His previous highest first-class score had been 13, and Al-Amin's was 64. In his next innings a few days later on the neighbouring cricket ground, Hossain scored 282 off 309 balls. Both matches were drawn. In the second innings of the last match of the season he scored 119 for South Zone in the Bangladesh Cricket League, taking him past 1000 for the season and his career.
He began 2015-16 with 122 (including six sixes) and 40 for Barisal Division, top-scoring in each innings, and scoring the first century of the worldwide 2015-16 season. In the next match he scored 200 not out (with seven sixes) and 61, again top-scoring in each innings. Both matches were drawn. His 200 not out made him the first Bangladesh batsman to score three first-class double-centuries.
In October 2018, he was named in the squad for the Chittagong Vikings team, following the draft for the 2018–19 Bangladesh Premier League. He captained Abahani Limited to victory in the 2018–19 Dhaka Premier Division Cricket League.
He made his One Day International (ODI) debut for Bangladesh against Afghanistan on 28 September 2016, and became the first player for Bangladesh to take a wicket with his very first delivery in an ODI. He scored an unbeaten 45 after coming in at number seven and batting with the tail. That complemented his figures of 2-31 off 10 overs, and a catch. However, this did not prevent Bangladesh losing the game by two wickets.
In February 2017, he was added to Bangladesh's Test squad ahead of their one-off match against India after Imrul Kayes was injured. He made his Test debut against Sri Lanka on 15 March 2017, in Bangladesh's 100th Test match, and scored 75 in the first innings, batting at number eight.
In December 2018, he was named in Bangladesh's team for the 2018 ACC Emerging Teams Asia Cup. In April 2019, he was named in Bangladesh's squad for the 2019 Cricket World Cup. The International Cricket Council (ICC) named him as one of the five surprise picks for the tournament.
- "Sri Lanka Under-19s in Bangladesh 2013". CricketArchive. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- Wisden 2014, p. 789-90.
- "England Under-19 v Bangladesh Under-19, Sleaford 2013". CricketArchive. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- "Abahani Limited v Prime Doleshwar Sporting Club 2013-14". CricketArchive. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- "East Zone v South Zone 2013-14". CricketArchive. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- "Glimpses of talent amid administrative hiccups". Cricinfo. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- "Barisal Division v Rangpur Division 2014-15". CricketArchive. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- "Khulna hand Rajshahi innings defeat". Cricinfo. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- "Barisal Division v Chittagong Division 2014-15". CricketArchive. Retrieved 1 March 2015.
- "East Zone v South Zone 2014-15". CricketArchive. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "Rajshahi Division v Barisal Division 2015-16". CricketArchive. Retrieved 21 September 2015.
- "Barisal Division v Sylhet Division 2015-16". CricketArchive. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- Isam, Mohammad. "Mosaddek Hossain seeks lasting first impression". Cricinfo. Retrieved 18 October 2015.
- "Bangladesh A in Zimbabwe unofficial Test Series, 2015/16 - Bangladesh A". Cricinfo. Retrieved 18 November 2015.
- "Full players list of the teams following Players Draft of BPL T20 2018-19". Bangladesh Cricket Board. Retrieved 29 October 2018.
- "Zimbabwe tour of Bangladesh (Jan 2016), 3rd Match: Bangladesh v Zimbabwe at Khulna, Jan 20, 2016". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- "Afghanistan tour of Bangladesh, 2nd ODI: Bangladesh v Afghanistan at Dhaka, Sep 28, 2016". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 28 September 2016.
- "Wicket with first ball in career". ESPNcricinfo. ESPN Sports Media. 28 September 2016. Retrieved 28 September 2016.
- "Thigh injury rules out Imrul Kayes". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 6 February 2017.
- "Bangladesh tour of Sri Lanka, 2nd Test: Sri Lanka v Bangladesh at Colombo (PSS), Mar 15-19, 2017". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 15 March 2017.
- "Media Release : ACC Emerging Teams Asia Cup 2018: Bangladesh emerging squad announced". Bangladesh Cricket Board. Retrieved 3 December 2018.
- "Bangladesh pick ODI newbie Abu Jayed for World Cup". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 16 April 2019.
- "Shakib, Jayed, Hossain in Bangladesh squad for World Cup". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 16 April 2019.
- "Cricket World Cup 2019: Five surprise picks". International Cricket Council. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- "Bangladesh vs West Indies final match 2019 Ireland Tri-Nation Series". ESPN Cricinfo. Retrieved 17 May 2019.